Plan the careers workshop event!
Who is coming?
Discuss with your fellow ambassadors and teacher(s) about people within your network and community who you would like to invite. Here are some questions to consider when deciding who to invite:
- Do we want industry experts from a particular field or a range of fields e.g. professionals from the environmental management/ conservation field
- Who is likely to come to a high school’s career workshop? (unfortunately, it’s pretty unlikely that Dr Jane Goodall will talk at your workshop)
- Can you think of some atypical experts in the field? For example, if your chosen field is conservation, why not invite a tradesman or architect who specialises building eco-friendly homes?
- What is a realistic number of people to invite to talk at your workshop?
What will your careers workshop include?
Here are some questions to consider to better define what your workshop will be like:
- Will you have guest speakers scheduled at specific times?
- Will you have free drinks and snacks at the workshop for your special guests and peers?
- Will your workshop be set up like a conference with different stalls and/or panels that your peers can visit?
- Will you have cool, fun activities that you and your peers can do during the workshop?
When and where will your careers workshop be held?
Figure out when and where you will hold the careers workshop.
Meet with your EcoMarines crew and/or your school leadership team to organise all the details!
Also, try booking the room/hall in advance. You wouldn’t want to get left stuck with no room to hold your workshop in.